[Novalug] Can gnome and kde coexist?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Thu May 21 23:38:55 EDT 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 9:20:07 pm Anthony Soucek wrote:
> I had xubuntu and installed kde and it's very nice. I had another pc
> with gnome and tried to install kde, couldn't find it in add/remove
> programs,

The package you wanted was "kubuntu-desktop" (other options include "xubuntu-
desktop" for xfce and "ubuntu-desktop" for gnome).

> installed compiz (compviz-whatever) now gnome has no panel.

Is gnome-panel running?  Check in a TTY (ps -ef | grep gnome-panel). Try
"killall gnome-panel" in the TTY to make it respawn.

> Ideally I would like to be able to choose from between the three
> desktop environments on both my machines but it seems like you have to
> pick kde or gnome.

I had both installed on my machine.  Only issue was the drive getting mighty
full.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo