[Novalug] SuSE interest level

Varol Okan varokan@MovingSatellites.com
Tue May 19 14:15:45 EDT 2009

I am a big believer in OpenSuSE. Have been with it since version 4.3

I run SuSE exclusively, that is where I am most comfortable. I tried
(k)Ubuntu a couple of times but I always reverted back to suse.

I found that I could fix things easier in suse if they were broken (
most likely my experience level of Suse vs ubuntu ).

I also found that the stranger bits off hardware are better served with
suse. E.g. I can not even get the startup screnn of ubuntu on my netbook.

I had a similar issue with a friends laptop, which did like suse better,
though the 3D part is always a hassle, if
> simple-ccsm
is not working.

I wasted the weekend installing 11.2 milestone1 on a flash drive ( don't
ask ). After most was working and I had all the multimedia working, the
flash drive crapped out on me ;) Lesson learned ...

Anyhow, bottom line is I tried a lot of other distros but I always went
back to suse.

BTW. my list :
OpenSuSE
Debian
Kubuntu / Ubuntu
Mandriva ( they were great about 5 years ago, downhill ever since )
Knoppix

Of course this list is highly subjective plus I have not tried a lot of
the other good distros out there.

Varol :)
Ps. package management was broken but it is getting better. If I have to
I try zypper before I try yast.