[Novalug] Ubuntu display question

Pete Nuwayser nuwayser@gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:17:05 EDT 2009

On 8.10 and 9.04, I have noticed that external monitors don't always
seem to run at their maximum display rating.  In the USB-VGA thread,
Mackenzie noted this may be a function of how well the monitor reports
its capabilities to the OS.

However, one particular monitor I have, an AOC 20" 1400x1050, did
originally tell 8.10 its max resolution and was running fine.  When I
started experimenting with different virtual resolutions and then
tried to go back to "normal," the display control panel listed a
subset of the monitor's available resolutions.

Is the history of previously-connected monitors stored somewhere in
the OS?  How might I make Ubuntu 'forget' about a particular monitor
and re-detect it?

TIA

Pete

--