[Novalug] Who's Ringing the System Bell?

Matthew A. Thompson, Contractor, Code 6189 matthew.thompson.ctr@nrl.navy.mil
Wed May 13 14:30:57 EDT 2009

Okay, folks, this is a weird trivial question about Linux that I can't
seem to answer with my Google-fu.  So, I thought I'd give Novalug a try
with it.

Namely, I'm trying to figure out what process keeps calling my PC
speaker with a system bell.  Every so often, randomly as far as I can
tell, I hear my old friend the system bell, yet I can't seem to figure
out why.  Sometimes I'm browsing Firefox, sometimes I'm coding in vim...
Sometimes I'm not even on the box, just reading at my desk, and *beep*.
  So, I figure some background process or daemon must be calling for a
system bell.

My question is, is there a log file or proc or lsof or some
utility/file/pipe I can monitor that outputs calls to the system bell?
It's not happening constantly, and I know I can turn it off with "set b
off", "setterm -blength 0", and the various other ways to rid myself of
it, but I guess I'd rather find the program causing it rather than just
'removing the clapper' as it were.

Thanks,
Matt
--
Dr Matthew Thompson, NRC Postdoc (Contractor)
Naval Research Laboratory, Code 6189