[Novalug] Mappery : Ye! Utuvienyes! and also Eureka!

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Tue May 12 16:32:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Theodore Ruegsegger wrote:

>>        IT DID IT!
>
> This is great news! Can you provide some more detail? Do you mean you
> ran Garmin's software under Wine, or that Fedora provides a native
> version? Which GPSs? Which legacy software? What failed before and
> works now?

 	I'm currently running wine-1.1.15-1.fc10.i386; some
months back, and before the latest updates, I had gotten both
Garmin' MapSource and Topo US 2008 to install, launch, and run --
to do everything, in fact, *except* make the all-important
connection to any GPS. (I have a poor man's little yellow ETrex,
an ETrex vista (the old one, from ca. 1998, *not* H nor C nor X),
and a pair of Rino 120s.)

 	Just now, with my old Garmin cable plugged into the
serial port on the back of this main machine, I tried once more,
first launching MapSource, and then connecting and starting a
rino. It found it at  once -- something it had never been able to
do -- with the preference tab for transfers set to auto.

 	In fact, it actually transferred all my waypoints,
routes, and tracks; but I decided the routes and most of the
tracks were no use any more, and deleted them (from the PC, not
from the GPS).

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --