[Novalug] Linux Install / Move HD

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:57:16 EDT 2009

On Jueves 07 Mayo 2009 12:40:47 PM Roger W. Broseus wrote:
> I offered to help a friend install Ubuntu on his PC. He suggests,
>
> > How about if I remove the 20Gig WD set the jumper it to "Master" & bring
> > it to you to partition as needed & install Ubuntu onto it?
>
> My question: does Linux / Ubuntu configure its self to be PC specific,
> installing drivers and/or modules that are specific to the hardware on a
> particular PC? I see potential problems with sound, video cards, etc. (64
> vs. 32 bit is not an issue).

Nope, it'll install all the same drivers anyway, just in case hardware
changes.  In days gone by, you would've likely needed to update xorg.conf.  X
now does auto-detection, so that's no longer an issue.

The only thing I can think of is that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-
net.rules will include eth0 as whatever computer you installed with's
ethernet.  wlan0 will belong to that computer's wireless.  When you switch the
hard drive to his computer, it'll remember that those devices existed, but
it'll also automatically register his computer's devices too, and then they'll
be eth1 and wlan1.  Network Manager will still only show devices that actually
exist on the computer that's in use, and it'll show them by name ("Intel 4965
wireless" not "wlan1"), so it won't be something he'll notice.  It just might
be something *you* notice if you're troubleshooting and start asking about
eth0 when on his computer it's eth1.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo