[Novalug] VA Health records held ransom

Unknown User unknown.usr@gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:34:54 EDT 2009

I once worked at a bookstore chain when I was a kid.  They gave me
the orientation, and one of the steps in closing was to take the tape out of
the backup device and put it on top of the crt monitor.  Even back in my
days of ignorance, this didn't seem right to me.  I asked why we had to put
them on top of the monitor, since it was magnetic media and the crt could in
theory corrupt the data.  They had never heard of such a thing and told me
that this was company policy and not to question it.
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Miércoles 06 Mayo 2009 12:38:31 PM ethan@757.org wrote:
> > > Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to backups, just last year I
> > > witnessed a rack with 7 usb hard drives sitting on top of a server.
> When I
> > > inquired about it i was told "6 are for incremental and the 7th is for
> > > weekly full backup"...
> > > :)
> >
> > Odd, but no different than tape really.
>
> Last place I worked where I could see what IT was doing, tapes went into a
> fireproof safe.  Doesn't sound like those hard drives were in a fireproof
> safe...
>
> Friend of mine worked at a place where they had the tapes on/around the
server.  He got a glowing review from his former boss there a few months
after he left because:

He requested a firesafe (less than $1000)
He was denied by finance as too expensive and unnecessary
He left
Boss kept email
Faulty power supplies burst into flames and took out server/tapes
Email got finance guy fired and boss got to keep job.

Lots of fun that was I'm sure.