[Novalug] Does NoScript cross the line between adware and malware? (fwd)

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sat May 2 18:33:58 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Joel G wrote:

> On Sat, 02 May 2009 03:38:03 +0200, botsing wrote:
>
>   > NoScript, through obfuscated code, tampers with AdBlock Plus
>   > in order for Firefox to show ads on the NoScript web site ....
>
> Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
>
>   > And it's certainly not malware.
>
> If it's going to sabotage a user's system, cripple features
> that the user deliberately put in place, unilaterally alter the
> system's behavior in favor of its author but in defiance of the
> user's explicit preferences, and do all this using
> undocumented, obfuscated code -- yes, that counts as malware.
> (If that isn't malware, what is?)

 	And if it's doing that now, what will it do in harder
times to come?

 	Otoh, what else is there to replace it with?? Besides
running Opera, I mean; I do that anyway, and usually have a dozen
or two tabs open on each.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --