[Novalug] computers for developing (read, poor and miserable) countries

linuxbodger linuxbodger@gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:13:38 EDT 2009

Nino,

This is not the biggest issue you need to worry about.

Having sent some computers to Haiti for similar reasons, we discovered
that just getting the equipment through customs was a major gamble.  As
many of those officials are corrupt, we had no guarantee that any of the
equipment would make it through.  In fact, we discovered that it was
usual for many things to vanish through customs.  We arranged to have a
nun from one of the local churches go to pick the equipment up and were
lucky that everything came through to her.

Keep this in mind before spending lots of money on equipment.

Bob