[Novalug] SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 has arrived

Kevin Chin kevinchin5@gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:45:41 EDT 2009

John,
Here's a highlights list which was taken from the product page:
http://www.novell.com/linux/whats_new_top.html

-- Reliability, availability and serviceability advances
-- Xen 3.3 hypervisor
-- Cross-architecture debugging for mainframe Linux
-- Productivity and multimedia enhancements
-- .NET applications on Linux
-- Flexible, policy-driven clustering
-- SUSE Appliance Program

I admit that it was kinda tough to narrow down the list to just a few
highlights.  There are a lot of "small improvements" that collectively make
up improvement to the major themes.  Some of the specific things I find most
interesting include:

-- More efficient power usage, Green IT  (Tickless idle, improved power
profiles)
-- Dramatically faster update mechanism  (based on zypper)
-- Diskless server support  (Swap over NFS)
-- ext3 is now the default file system  (Reiser is still supported, just no
longer the default)
-- New and improved high availability stack  (OpenAIS, cLVM2, Pacemaker,
OCFS2)
-- Full support for Mono available (.NET on Linux not just x86, but all
supported platforms even on IBM mainframes/System z)
-- Nomad (remote desktop capability... X session over RDP)
-- SLED includes Silverlight support (out of the box support for wma and wmv
formats)

Here's a part of the Novell webpage which also shows the differences between
SLE 10 and SLE 11...
http://www.novell.com/products/server/compare.html?tab=2

If there's interest, I can arrange to do a presentation on SLE 11 at a
future meeting covering the feature set in more depth.

--Kc