[Novalug] yes, I am thick as molasses

Varol Okan varokan@movingsatellites.com
Wed Mar 18 07:49:28 EDT 2009

Anthony Soucek wrote:
> Okay,
> I admit this is stupid, but It just dawned on me that you dont need
> terminal services in linux, because it just does that (sorry, paradigm
> shift for a windows user) so what is the client software for a remote
> encrypted GUI session? GnomeMeeting? VNC? What is the equivalent of
> remote desktop?

basic:
ssh -X user@host
from the ssh manual
     -X      Enables X11 forwarding.  This can also be specified on a
per-host basis in a configuration file.

             X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution.  Users with
the ability to bypass file permissions
             on the remote host (for the user's X authorization
database) can access the local X11 display
             through the forwarded connection.  An attacker may then be
able to perform activities such as
             keystroke monitoring.

             For this reason, X11 forwarding is subjected to X11
SECURITY extension restrictions by default.
             Please refer to the ssh -Y option and the ForwardX11Trusted
directive in ssh_config(5) for more
             information.

     -Y      Enables trusted X11 forwarding.  Trusted X11 forwardings
are not subjected to the X11 SECURITY
             extension controls.

more comfy :
Remote Desktop Client 'krdc'

GnomeMeeting is a VoIP app ( with Video ??? )

If you try to do cross platfor VNC I recommend using just any VNC client
n Linux and TightVNC for Window$. Another solution would be NoMachine's NX
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nomachine+nx&btnG=Google+Search&aq=0&oq=NoMachine

Varol :)