[Novalug] [Ma-linux] Choice of video cards

Matt Bidwell bidwell@dead-city.org
Mon Mar 16 10:08:55 EDT 2009

Jay Hart wrote:
>> Jay Hart wrote:
>>> Which video card would you choose?
>>>
>>> Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9100 [VGA]
>>>
>>> 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300 [DVI, VGA adapter]
>>>
>>> 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>>
>>> 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>>
>>> 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Jay Hart
>>
>> What do you hope to achieve with the card?
>>
> Right now not much.  I'm looking at buying an additional server based PC but I
> want one this time that has better X support then the VIA Chrome chipset.
>
> So, basic ability to run X is about all at this time.
>
> Jay
>

>> Personally I tend to lean towards NVidia these
>> days.
>>
>> Matt

I found via chrome very frustrating and it is
basically what drove me away from mini-itx.
I've been very happy with NVidia for running
hdtv, and didn't even need a card as hefty
as what you've cited.  I've also used
ATI and would put them in the good, not great
category.  That's just my opinion, so no one
get offended.  Also, I would not let HDMI be
a selling point on a video card, as HDMI
and DVI are the same.  You can get a HDMI to
DVI cable if need be.

Matt