[Novalug] screen resolution for an LCD screen

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 14 14:47:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have an LCD screen that I can switch to two different computers
running Ubuntu (and a Windows computer, don't ask). The older
computer, which got Ubuntu installed fairly recently, seems to
know that the screen can handle a resolution of 1680 by 1050.
The newer computer (which I got indirectly through this mailing
list) is somehow restricted to a resolution of 1280 by 1024:
this is the highest resolution  offered in the
gui (System > Preferences > Screen Resolution).

Googling for this topic I get to pages that tell you how to
edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I get the necessary information
for the 'modeline' from 'gtf 1680 1050 60 -v', I remove all
other modelines so that there is only one  the system can read.
But, I don't get the resolution I expect (and want).

I suspect that there's another file somewhere that is read,
while xorg.conf is being ignored.

If so, which file should be edited to get the desired resolution?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Nino