[Novalug] OT? : &^%&(*$# "atomic" time (fwd)

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Mar 8 12:51:51 EDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> All this lovely atomic time sync stuff only serves to let you
> know the exact UTC time.
>
> From this you can determine the exact local time if and only if
> you have the proper DST converstion tables.
>
> Unfortunately the DST time change days were changed a year or
> two ago, so you probably just have devices with old firmware.
>
> Every single clock around here correctly changed. I would have
> missed the fact that DST happened were it not for your message.

 	Yes, we discovered last year that one clock still wanted
to change on the old date -- and got rid of it. I suppose the two
watches that disagree with the computer are pulling the same
trick -- oddly enough, inasmuch as both are new since this
abomination last surfaced.

 	But where are these GPSs getting the five-minute
variances?? Their need to be right, to the umpteenth decimal, is
much greater than mine to know if dawn, or pouring time, is near.

--
Beartooth Bookworm, Cantankerous Curmudgeon
I have never owned a television. Nor wanted to.