[Novalug] Remaining problems Re: Setting up pine/alpine to work from home computer

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon Mar 2 12:19:07 EST 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Beartooth wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>

>> The reamining problems I have are in order of inconvenience
>>
>> (1) I seem to have lost the ability to copy from the terminal if alpine is
>> running. This is true both of terminator and gnome-terminal. I am running
>> gnome desktop under Ubuntu.
>
> 	Try holding the shift down, starting before you grab the mouse. Then
> again if you want to paste back into Pine/Alpine, using the wheel.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you. That was it - the shift beofre right
mouse click.

> 	There seem to be two clipboards, one using the wheel and one using
> the Paste function. You can use both, if you remember what's in which -- at
> least in Fedora.
>
>> Paste still works if the copied text is copied from somewhere other than
>> the terminal that is running alpine. This is a major inconvenience for me.
>>
>> I have tried to google the problem for several days and have either not hit
>> on the correct key words or no one else is bothered by this problem.
>
> 	It was a royal PITA for me till I found out about the shift key. (You
> do have M > S > C set to enable mouse in xterm, don't you??)

where are these set? Mouse works with gnome-terminal and terminus
normally. Looked in gnome-terminal keyboard short cuts and they are:

<Shift><control>c for copy
<Shift><control>v for paste

>> (2) I have to enter my password multiple (min 3, sometimes as many as 6)
>> times to log into the remote server. This is minor compared to (1).
>
> 	I *think* that's a matter of how the server is configured; there has
> been some discussion on one of the places I mentioned. Also, I remember, it
> makes a difference whether Pine/Alpine is configured with or without a
> passfile; the Fedora version is with; dunno 'bout Ubuntu.

will check out passfile configure for Ubuntu - that gives me keys to
search on. Again thanks

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com