[Novalug] Ubuntu Jaunty problem with screen resolution on old Compaq laptop

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:41:15 EDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 11:18:52 am Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion but I am not sure I can replace the video card
> in a laptop.

Some laptops have them as mini PCI cards, others as built-in. Not sure on this
one.

> The error with the vertical line occurs in the display even
> with 800 by 600 and when I had an earlier installation of Ubuntu on this
> machine (Hardy) the display worked at 800 by 600 without the vertical
> line. However I stupidly wiped out the Hardy installation when I put
> Jaunty on it because I wanted to get rid of all my personal files.

If you use a Hardy live cd, does the line go away? Or did the screen go wonky
at a coincidental time?

> Why does the flash screen display OK?

Probably framebuffer magic... *maybe* 9.10's kernel modesetting will help.
Worth a try, I guess, though it's only alpha 3 (still, quite stable, in my
experience).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo