[Novalug] OT: MS or M$? -- Re: Novalug tape library

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Thu Jul 23 14:45:49 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 01:22:51PM -0500, Beartooth wrote:

> to have the least exposure humanly possible to M$, and may be missing
> some. So be it.

I'd like to point out that I don't believe we win any battles by using
pejorative terms like "M$" when referring to competition.  It's harder
to take the high ground and rationally persuade people that Free
Software or Linux is attractive if we're throwing mud.  Cost, freedom,
technical benefits -- these are fair game and go much farther.

There was a time that Microsoft higher-ups called Linux and the GPL
"cancer", and now Microsoft is contributing GPL'ed patches to the Linux
kernel.  This is a good thing.  I'd rather encourage more of that.
-A. Dave