[Novalug] [OT] Free speech -- Your claim is not sincere

Paul D. Bain paulbain@pobox.com
Mon Jul 20 21:57:11 EDT 2009

John Warren wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM, William Warren
> <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
> <mailto:hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>> wrote:
>
>     Miguel Gonzalez wrote:
>
>         If I were an employer and read your posts in this mailing list I
>         would be scared and think twice to interview you. I am NOT
>         kidding (sorry, I couldn't help it).
>
>     If i was looking to hire him i would give him equal consideration..i
>     don't believe in punishing folks for exercising their Constitutional
>     rights.
>

> It wouldn't be punishment, it would be a basic character judgement based
> on public discussions that Paul has been involved in.  He's basically
> just made himself nearly unemployable at ANY government job, ANY
> employer that will potentially have H1B employees working with him, ANY
> employer who was foreign born, and
> ANY employer with a strick [sic; "strict"]

	John, please learn to use your spell checker.

> anti-violence policy.
>
> At one point I was going to see if
> I could reference him into a job

	Uh, "reference him into a job?" What does that mean? The term
"reference" is a noun, _not_ a verb.

> my company is hiring like mad right now,
> but he wouldn't even volunteer a
> bit of his obviously plentiful free time to show me what he could do.
> And now after what he's said here about H1B's,
> foreign born [sic; "foreign-born"] citizens,

	Check that punctuation, John -- it is "foreign-born," not "foreign born."

> violent conflict with the government and negatively responding without
> fully understanding all sorts of  conversational points or implications,
> I don't think I could get him an IT job even if I gave him my highest
> reference.

John Warren,

	I suspect that your reluctance to help me springs from the ill-will
that you bear towards me following our altercation on this mailing list
(ML) last week, wherein you and I disagreed regarding Slashdot.org and
Slash, the OSS "community-ware" on which Slashdot runs. I shall
summarize the altercation for the benefit of those who are not familiar
with it. You implied that Slashdot receives comparatively little web
traffic, an egregiously false claim that I refuted incontrovertibly. I
also pointed out that your English language skills leave a bit to be
desired. You rejoined in anger, ending the conversation.

> Everything you do online is subject to review by potential employers.
> In looking for work, it should be expected that these conversations will
> be reviewed as part of the inteview [sic; "interview"] process,

	John, spell checker.

> especially in the IT
> industry.  And the IT industry is fully global now, with IT
> professionals of every stripe competing on a larger scale than ever
> before.  Nobody in need of IT related [sic; "IT-related"]

	Punctuation.

> work should be voicing hate filled
> and violent rhetoric in an irrevocable public media when the workforce
> pool is that big.

	As I have explained to you on this ML before (just a few weeks ago),
John Warren, for me, this point is moot. I have no choice but to leave
IT. It is obvious to me that, if I remain in IT, I shall continue to be
unemployed. Indeed, I have unemployed for over 13 months.

	My current plan is to get into the legal technology (LT) field, by
which I mean that part of IT that is applicable to the practice of law.
You might think that it would be easy for me, a lawyer and an IT
professional, to enter that field, but you would be completely mistaken.
I am amazed that most EDD vendors, litigation support companies, and LT
headhunters will not even acknowledge the receipt of my resume. The
reasons are too complex for me to explain here. I could probably write a
lengthy article on that topic.

> -John W
>
> P.S. Paul some of us just really want to help you as you are obviously
> distressed, but you're making it impossible.

	To repeat, I doubt the sincerity of this claim. I do not believe that
you want to help. I believe that you are still angry regarding our
altercation last week.

	BTW, although your grammar skills have improved a bit over last week,
your spelling, diction, and punctuation skills are still lousy. I do not
expect Miguel Gonzalez to have good English skills (English is not his
native tongue), but you ought to able to do better than he. My
recommendation? DO NOT take the LSAT.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain, Esq.

A lawyer, an IT professional, and an expert
        on open source software (OSS).

PaulBain@PObox.com
(703) 876-4778

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbain