[Novalug] formatting a Lacie external HD in FAT32

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:44:26 EDT 2009

hi

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Miguel Gonzalez <
miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  In my company someone bought a brand new 1 Tb Lacie HD. It comes with a
> firmware that allow creating users, permissions and stuff like that.

I have a 500 Gb and a 1TB usb drives that I connect to my system(s) running
Linux.
   I wiped the original formatting
   I then "fdisk"ed them and SET the TYPE to 83 Linux
  I then formatted them with:
     mke2fs -j -L Labek  /dev/sdb1

And have no problem accessing the whole capatity of the drives.

>  I have wiped all partitions using fdisk, creating a unique FAT32 partition
> and formatting it using mkfs.vfat -F 32. However, when I mount the partition
> I just can see 10 Mb. I have tried setting the sector size with -S 32768 and
> it's even worse, then I can't mount it.

OH you are trying to use FAT32 well it has a limit on the largest partition
size it can handle of 125.53 GB, which is only a quarter of 1 TB.
 See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

>  I'm googling around but I don't know if it is related to this particular
> brand or It's just that I'm missing something here...

>  Regards,
>
>  Miguel

Don E. Groves, Jr.

Tag it's your turn now... ... ....