[Novalug] Pen is mightier than sword -- Speech restricted hereon, too

Paul D. Bain paulbain@pobox.com
Sat Jul 18 09:08:11 EDT 2009

Varol Okan wrote:
> You probably heard about the George Orwell disaster on the Kindle (
> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/17/2138213/Amazon-Pulls-Purchased-E-Book-Copies-of-1984-and-Animal-Farm
>  ) .. and may I add 1984 off all books ...
>
> So this sets off an immediately allergic reaction to my German
> history classes. The Nazis organized several "Buecherverbrennungen"
> under the title "Aktion wider den undeutschen Geist" ( action against
> the un-German spirit ). / /This was done for a very good ( read evil
> ) reason as the Nazis were trying to control what Germans were
> allowed to read. The rest is history so to say.
>
> The kindle allows to get the exact same result without the fire. A
> mass extinction of knowledge and suppression of opposing ( political
> or otherwise ) opinions. What ever happened to the first amendment ?

Varol,

	On this mailing list (ML), speech is _greatly_ restricted. GREATLY. If
you have been unemployed for more than a year (as I have) and, on this
ML, you identify the cause of your protracted unemployment, then the
moderators of this ML will _BAR_ you from posting again. I am NOT kidding.

	On this ML, you may not identify, much less discuss, the most important
issue facing American-born IT professionals today. I am not kidding.

> So the question is; isn't that the same as if a "Barns and Noble"
> employee comes into your house and removes some books off your shelfs
>  and giving you a refund simply because the one side of the deal (
> buying a book ) wants to get out of it ?

	With all due respect, Varol, that is _not_ an important question, at
least not in the great scheme of things. Right now, I believe that the
most important question facing America is this: What is going to happen
when approximately 40 million American-born workers finally wake up and
realize that they are never going to work in their own country ever
again? A related question would be this: When is the Second American
Revolution going to begin, this year or next?

	If you think that the pen is mightier than the sword, then wait until
40 million Americans grab their guns, go to Washington, march on Capitol
Hill, and start shooting. The pen is not always mightier than the sword.
Sometimes, the people have _no_choice_ but to use the sword in order to
force the government to acknowledge that they have certain, basic rights.

	I have been unemployed for well over a year, and I have had enough.
This shit is ridiculous. Furthermore, I shan't ever forget it or the
identity of those who _supported_ the politicians who allowed it to occur.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain, Esq.

A lawyer, an IT professional, and an expert
        on open source software (OSS).

PaulBain@PObox.com
(703) 876-4778

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbain