[Novalug] Microsoft to open stores next to Apple stores + Illogical M$ fan

Justin Swain justin.swain@gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:40:44 EDT 2009

Wow, this thread is developing some good FOSS comments . . .
my initial read left many questions of "thatguyalex" I share with you.

Who or what is “thatguyalex”? Are there citations to his experience and
background? Is he an agent or employee of Microsoft?

Googling “thatguyalex” provides a variety of hits . . .

http://www.thebigmoney.com/users/matthewstewart

Personal Information

Full Name
    Matthew Stewart
Attribution
    Matthew Stewart was a management consultant for ten years. He is the
August 2009. He does not have an MBA.

History

Member for 32 weeks 3 days

Food for discussion . . . this list is my first encounter with “thatguyalex”
so I share my questions with the list. ;-)

Justin

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:23 PM, William Sutton <william@trilug.org> wrote:

> Why would you *want* a Linux version of iTunes when Amarok is so much
> nicer?  And even then a lot of Windows software runs just fine under wine or
> vmware.
>
> And from the gaming PoV, why keep upgrading your PC every 6 months if
> you're going to get (most of) the same games on a game console that you can
> hook up to your big flat screen TV?
>
> William Sutton
>

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Stephen Cicirelli wrote:
>
>  Eh, he probably means games.  He's got a PS3 and a Wii, so he's probably a
>> pretty hardcore gamer and getting new high end games to work on Linux is
>> difficult at best.
>>
>> Is there a Linux version of iTunes?
>>
>> -stephen
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell@qis.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Here is an article about Micro$oft planning to open stores next to Apple
>>> stores:
>>>

>>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/microsoft-to-open-retail-stores-next-to-apples/#comments
>>>
>>> Here is an illogical comment by Posted by: thatguyalex | 07/15/09 | 11:44
>>> pm:
>>> <quote>
>>>
>>> 5 years ago I was using Windows XP, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer,
>>> Windows Media Player, and Hotmail. Today I used Windows Vista, Open
>>> Office,
>>> Firefox, VLC and Gmail.
>>>
>>> It’s almost as if Microsoft should just stick to making OS’s and selling
>>> Office to corporate clients.
>>>
>>> I can’t imagine what I would want to go into a Microsoft store for. An
>>> XBOX? (please - I own a PS3 and Wii)…A Zune? (I have two ipods)…an OS? (I
>>> will get it whenever I buy a new PC)…
>>>
>>> It’s not that I am against Microsoft (I’d sooner choke that use Apple’s
>>> overrated OS and Linux can’t run anything I want), I just think they fail
>>> understand that most of their products are 2nd rate and people choose
>>> them
>>> almost by default
>>> <end quote>
>>>
>>> They guy claims that Linux cannot run anything he wants to run yet all
>>> the
>>> aps he lists as currently being used are available as Linux aps.
>>>
>>> Do you suppose that this poster does not know that Open Office, Firefox,
>>> VLC and Gmail are Linux aps?
>>>
>>> Of course Linux being open source and in many flavors does not have
>>> clever
>>> TV ads. :-)
>>>
>>> Weird.

>>>                      Bonnie Dalzell, MA
>>> mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|
>>> EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net <EMAIL%3Abdalzell@qis.net> <
>>> EMAIL%3Abdalzell@qis.net <EMAIL%253Abdalzell@qis.net>>
>>>
>>> freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
>>> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
> [...]

Justin R. Swain -- 202.470.2067 allow 8 rings for answer or announcement
Freelance Video and Multi-media Producer
videowashdc.org