[Novalug] help with the GIMP

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Sat Jul 11 13:07:16 EDT 2009

Mackenzie & list:

thanks for your help the other day with getting the GIMP under
control. The problem turned out to be mine (isn't that always the
case?): on my Debian box the GIMP doesn't have the various features
that you pointed out, and I couldn't figure out how to add them.
But, on my Ubuntu boxes the GIMP works exactly how you told me.
So, I copied the relevant files over to the other box, did the
work, and copied them back.

Then, I wanted greek letters. These I couldn't make with the
GIMP on either box. Instead, I made them in LaTeX, and imported
them as needed. The one problem is that you have to watch your
pixels and the resolution: if you import the letter with
100 pixels, you get a really small one copied into the figure.
So, you select from 300 to 66 (pixels per inch) until you get
the right/desired size.

Problem solved. Now, I have to learn how to make nice
arrows in the GIMP.  It never ends.

Thanks for all the help.

Nino