[Novalug] OT: Windows Assumptions [was: Re: Is Google Chrome going to threaten Linux?]

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Wed Jul 8 23:06:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:29:10PM -0400, ethan@757.org wrote:

> I also lost an argument over security. It is (sadly) easier to secure
> windows over unix.

I might ask you to revisit some of the assumptions you've made in this
email.  You seem to be conflating managing a domain of Win32 machines
with individually managing Linux hosts.  There's some sentiments here
that are factually wrong as well.  Look at Samba's feature list, Linux's
track record with viruses, and the options available to you when
considering high-security deployments with Linux.

You might want to look at options available to you when you start
deploying thousands of hosts, clustering, and virtualization.  Licensing
really, really matters.  When you manage by the thousands, Win32 doesn't
compare.

There's a wealth of good information out there for managing large
installations, and ways to make good licensing choices.  Get to know
Linux a little better ;)
-A. Dave