[Novalug] Ubuntu vs Fedora

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 21:45:15 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Beartooth <beartooth@beartooth.info> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Don E. Groves, Jr. wrote:
>
>        [...]
>
>> This minor difference can have a Speed and/or functionality difference.
>>
>> The second version will also more likely function in LOWER memory and/or
>> LOWER number of avable file handles conditions.
>>

>        I've been either doing su - passwd, or logging in to init 3 and
> doing passwd. After either, passwd and the root password make me root at
> /root. With no one else ever going near my computer, I can keep one terminal
> tab (with a contrasting color scheme!) set so; I find that very convenient.
>
>        Is there a better way to be root in Ubuntu and its clones?

Let me see, on my IMac (running Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)),  I've had to open a
root 'sudo -i' terminal once to adjust something in /etc/services (my
network Sane handled scanner runs on a nonstandard port).

BTW Yes I may still try Ubuntu on my IMac.

On my Ubuntu based system in a terminal I use:
    sudo -i

To run text mode type programs such as "mcedit" to edit/copy/move files
around. The only few Graphical programs that I ever run a "root" are the
ones supplied by/with Ubuntu and those come with Ubuntu supplied wrappers
that use "gksu" for the most part.

If you don't like always putting your user password to access "root level
prevlieges" you might try this simple change to /etc/sudo :

Add either or both of the following

for just your regular  id:
   beartooth ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Or for any user who is a member of the group "admin" do:
   %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Using a ROOT user X-display on Linux is almost as dangerous as running as
"Owner" with the Admintration flag set on any MicroS??t product.

And there is no real good reason to ever run as the "root user" on Linux and
most current release(distro's) set things up to make it easy to NOT do so.

Don E. Groves, Jr.

Tag it's your turn now... ... ....