[Novalug] Triumph : Fedora/Garmin

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Jul 5 11:26:39 EDT 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, jerry w wrote:

> package name is
> garmin-sync
> requires
> pyusb
>
> and does work, at least to get .tcx  track files,
> and been in development (on launchpad.net)
> since 2007 while I also was using winblows
 	[...]
 	On my equipment, it certainly gets waypoints, and I
*think* it now gets routes, too; I haven't tried transferring
maps. (I use the rino 120 a lot more than the etrex vista, which
has far more map memory, because the rino does better at finding
and holding satellite connections under a forest canopy. The
etrex has therefore been demoted to mostly vehicle use.)

 	Small fly in my ointment: my thinkpad T42 -- with some
sort of adapter card, which uses a 6" cable with an ethernet plug
on its end and a serial port plug on the other -- does not find
the etrex nor the rino. I even tried closing the app and
re-opening it, with the GPS connected and turned on the whole
time.

 	I don't know any reason for the failure. Yum install tels
me garmin-sync is there and the latest version.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --