[Novalug] Triumph : Fedora/Garmin

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sat Jul 4 11:12:07 EDT 2009

 	Well, meseems I'm a fool, if not a triple-damn-fool --
but a mighty happy one (at long, long last)!

 	The beginning came when I first switched to linux, about
1998 or early 1999 -- and was assured Wine would soon be able to
handle my legacy proprietary GPS/topo map software. The
denouement came yesterday when I had occasion to shutdown and
reboot all four current PCs.

 	When I rebooted #1, after the upgrade to F11, I thought
to let it boot to XP and check the map suites there. They failed.
I supposed the cybergods had slipped a nasty knife between my
ribs. Not so. Blessed be their names!

 	Finally I thought to check my cablery. Sure enough, the
one I'd been testing with ran to #2, and one that had gotten
buried in the paperstorm was on #1.

 	I straightened that out. Lo! and Behold!, not only #1
*running* *Fedora* but now #2 do immediately find the GPSs -- and
the transfers finish as slick as a whistle.

 	Calloo, callay! Champagne is *strongly* indicated -- and
so is my best single malt. After nearly eleven years' wait, I may
go buy a bottle of rich man's champagne. And the last vestige of
M$ will disappear off the dual boot drive, and out of my house,
forthwith. All regulars are invited to help celebrate in person
at any time, should you pass nigh Blacksburg.

I think I just found out where up is.