[Novalug] NAS questions

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 22:16:40 EST 2009

I have an Ubuntu box with a basic motherboard, a gigabit ethernet card, and 2 750GB hard drives at my shop. Works great...  Not sure if I would want to get a simple NAS box over a basic computer with a bunch of drives, why limit yourself?  What if you want to run a cron script on your NAS box, say to run an rsync backup?  I have used Buffalo NAS and find they work very well - easy web based setup, simple security options, even RAID if you want it, but no ability to run anything else like cron scripts..

Igor

________________________________
From: Jon LaBadie <novalugml@jgcomp.com>
To: Novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:08:20 PM
Subject: [Novalug] NAS questions

I'm considering adding storage via an NAS box to
my lan.  It looks like 4 drive boxes can be had
for under $500 and populated with 4 large drives
the total cost would be less that $1K.

My home lan has mixed Linux, Win XP, and Solaris.

couple of queries:

What FS do you typically run on these boxes.  Do
you follow the herd and use one of the Windows
formats accessing it in the unix world with samba?
Or do you use a more reasonable unix fs and serve
it to the win boxes with samba on the NAS server?

Do you typically use the boxes raid facility to
protect against hw failure?  Maybe a pair of Raid 1's,
or a 1+0, or maybe even Raid 5?

Any recommendations on price, performance, features,
ease of use?  I'll be on a 100Mb lan, so I expect
performance to be limited by the pipe.

Thanks,
Jon
--