[Novalug] OT (sadly) GPS Receivers for Hiking

Theodore Ruegsegger gruntly@gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:15:19 EST 2009

Richard Weait wrote:
> I encourage you to have a look at OpenStreetMap(.org)  We're making an
> OpenSource (and OpenGeoData) map of the world.  It's fun.  It's free.
> You can help.

Thanks for this pointer; are you saying that OSM isn't limited to
street maps, but handles hiking/topo maps as well? Is it limited to
Garmin devices, or can I use it with other vendors' products, too? If
this reflects open standards on the part of Garmin, then kudos (and
preference) to them. In any case, I'll spend some time studying the
OSM site.

> I'll do what I can for your feature questions.  I have a couple of
> handhelds that I use with OpenStreetMap.  I like them because I can get
> GPS tracks out of the handhelds, to use in OSM.  I can also make maps
> for the handhelds from OpenStreetMap data.  Nice.

Make/Model?

>>   * May I assume that, even without topo maps, the GPS display is a
>> map-like view, similar to that on a highway GPS? A friend of mine
>> proposed a unit that displays only an indication whether I'm "getting
>> warmer" or "getting colder" but I doubt that would be a big seller.
>
> Sure.  I have both types.  The warmer / colder unit without a map
> display is great for collecting GPS data and telling me where I have
> been, after I get back to my computer.  Not so good for finding where I
> am or where I want to go.

:D :D :D but surely it displays a bit more than "warmer" or "colder",
right? What does the display look like? Just coordinates, no graphics
at all?

> Make your own [topo maps] from OpenStreetMap and import to your
> handheld.  Not an expensive prospect at all.  F/LOSS.  It may take a
> bit of learning curve for you to make your own.

This is way better news than I expected, and I'm game to negotiate a
learning curve.

> USNG and many other grids are available on my units.

Again, what units are those? So far, the only ones I know that support
MGRS/UTM/USNG are Magellans and some discontinued Garmins.

> There are active OpenStreetMap contributors everywhere (well, OSM has a
> better foothold in Europe, but the US community is growing) so you can
> probably meet with other GPS users at an OSM mapping party.  There was
> one in Arlington, VA and another in Philadelphia PA, in November.

I've recently moved to New England, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Ted