[Novalug] OT (sadly) GPS Receivers for Hiking

Sarah Elkins sarah.elkins@gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:16:10 EST 2009

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:54:49 -0500
> From: "Theodore Ruegsegger" <gruntly@gmail.com>
>
> I'm looking into getting a handheld GPS receiver for hiking and I'm
> having trouble getting up-to-date guidance. I gather there are folks
> on the novalug and ma-linux lists who use such devices and I'd love to
> discuss with you. Unless there's widespread interest I'll be happy to
> discuss off-list.
>
> I've just about given up on finding units whose supporting software
> will work on any platform I can stand but if you know of any Free GPS
> software, or even GPS software that just runs on a Free OS, please let
> me know.

See discussion of this topic on the OLPC News Forum,
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php, search on GPS.  There are
packages out there, though I don't know much about them.

Regards,

Sarah