[Novalug] OT: Advise the adviser (me), please

Craig Pennington cpenning@gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:38:46 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell@qis.net> wrote:
[snip]
> One thing you need to consider is that he needs to take actual non
> computer based drawing lessons. in general it is much faster to draw
> someing from scratch on paper than to draw it with a computer and an
> architect needs to have real drawing skills.

Absolutely. When I worked in the field, I saw drafters wasting
numerous hours doing on a computer what could be hand done in minutes.

Are drafting classes available in his HS? That would probably give him
exposure to manual as well as computer aided technical drawing.

> after you draw it on paper you may scan it into the computer and fix it up

Actually, a lot of the scale stuff you want to start on the computer
and finish by hand. It is far easier to have the computer ensure that
you lengths/angles etc are within spec.

> for example this drawing:
> http://www.cafepress.com/bdalzellart.182190244
>
> took me around 2 hours to do as a black and white pen and ink drawing.
>
> I could color it in with water colors in another hour.
>
> I went ahead and scanned it into the computer and used the computer
> to color it in. got a more even degree of shadomg  but it took me around 8
> hours to do the coloring

That is a really cool drawing, Bonnie. I may have to get one for my cube.

Cheers,
  Craig P

--
Corollary to Clarke's Third Law: