[Novalug] Speed Up Multiple SSH Connections to the Same Server

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Mon Jan 5 11:50:01 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Mark Smith wrote:

> to share connections when you have an X session present (e.g.
> your workstation) you can just connect to remote system and
> type: xterm.  it will automatically open another window to that
> host on your workstation.  i used to find that quite useful
> too.

 	I happened to have an ssh session open (on my wife's
userid, and to her machine, which I am preparing (backing up to
mine) ahead of an upgrade. So I tried there. No joy.

=====		=====		=====		=====
[tslg@Msgv2 ~]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
[tslg@Msgv2 ~]$ gnome-terminal
cannot open display:
Run 'gnome-terminal --help' to see a full list of available
command line options.
[tslg@Msgv2 ~]$
 	=====		=====		=====		=====

 	I tried 'gnome-terminal --help' too; but the formatting
with my font size makes it unreadable. Can I get around that with
Konqueror, the way I do with man pages??

 	Also by DISPLAY do they mean "system-config-display"?? I
do *not* want to change that on her machine -- nor any of mine,
either, so far as that goes. Been there done that -- repeatedly,
alas! It's a free ticket to hell with this monitor and these old
machines.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeon On Line
Liberty is an Endangered Species