[Novalug] ethernet has suddenly stopped working

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:12:40 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 13:01 -0500, Travis Arnold wrote:
> Ello all. So after playing around with fedora I have settled on ubuntu
> since volume wise I guess that should get the most help online and
> such.  In Fedora 9 one day the ethernet suddenly did not work any
> longer. The wireless still works and when the machine is booted into
> windows the ethernet and wireless both still work.
>    The machine is about a 2 year old HP Pavilion dv9000 17in laptop.
>
>     Under device manager in windows XP Network adapters lists 3
> subsections:
>
>          1394 Net Adapter
>
>          Intel(r) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
>
>          Intel(r) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
>
> I'm not sure which of these is the wired connection and why it would not
> be working.  Does anyone know if this is somehow a permenant problem or
> can it be fixed?

Is that an e1000 wired connector?  If so, are you using 2.6.27?  Maybe
you're hitting the bugs in that driver in that kernel.  It could destroy
the wired NIC, so distros disabled it when they compiled the kernel.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo