[Novalug] Thumbs down on Ubuntu 8.04 -- so far

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 13:41:21 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 13:26 -0500, Charles M Howe wrote:
> List,
>
> My experiences with Ubuntu 8.04 subtract from, not add to, my affection
> for the distro. THAT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!! Here is some of what I
> encountered.
>
> I don't recall what went on before except that the screen didn't light
> up

CRT or LCD? Was the green or orange light on?

> At a normal startup I have ten seconds to
> choose this, that or something else, which I accomplish by arrowing
> down. Since I want to explore 8.04 I have no reason initially to choose
> anything else. Not an encouraging start.

Er... you mean "normal startup" "recovery startup" or "memtest"?  Those
were in 6.06 too...  Recovery startup is just single user mode.

> The one thing about WebMail, i.e., SquirrelMail is that I
> very much prefer as opposed to how Evolution does it is the way I can
> look the subject and sender and mark for deletion what I want to.

If you want to turn off message preview, you can do so with ctrl+M or
View -> Preview -> uncheck it.  If you mean you want to select multiple
emails and delete them at once, hold down ctrl to click a bunch of
emails (shift if they're right in a row), just like when you select
multiple files in Nautilus.  Then hit the delete button at the top (or
ctrl+D)

When you get these lockups, are you still able to use Magic SysRq?  For
ex: alt+sysrq+b to reboot?  If so, just X is freezing.  If not, you've
got a kernel panic and ought to check for bad hardware (including
memtest).  If all hardware's good, a bad driver, then.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo