[Novalug] What to put on a G4 Laptop?

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Thu Feb 26 21:49:30 EST 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Mark Smith wrote:

MS >On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:43:17AM -0500, Nick Danger wrote:
MS >> Now, what do I put on it? I could go with OS X but I was hoping for
MS >> something a little more Linux-y :-)  Suggestions?
MS >
MS >why not just load OSX on it?  it comes with software that mainly
MS >works right: pdf, movies, flash, dvd player, etc.
MS >
MS >that aside, yellowdog seems to be the choice for apple hardware.

Since OSX has unixy roots I have found that a lot of my favorite command
line open source programs also are availablerun on our MAC.

Unlike windoze when someone buys a copy of OSX they own it and can sell
it. Apple does not sell "upgrades" but instead a new copy of the OS, so
someone who has a later version of OSX can legally give or sell their
earlier version to you. But the G4 version is different from the intel
version.
MS >
MS >--
MS >Mark Smith