[Novalug] speaking of digitizing

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Sun Feb 22 17:21:52 EST 2009

If you are still getting sound out of the tape, then the short answer
is yes, they are salvageable.

I've seen burned video DVDs that don't play at all on some DVD players
but play fine on others or in a computer.  I expect the same is true
for reel-to-reel tape decks, either because the clutch in the feed and/
or take-up reel is tuned differently, or because there is some other
speed manager in the feed.  ISTR my father had one when I was growing
up that we had to feed the tape through some rubber wheels near the
read/record head which governed the speed.

I know you can't exactly run down to the electronics store for a new
reel-to-reel, so if you don't have a second deck finding out may be
difficult.

Does the VT library have a deck?

jf

On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I have a bookshelf, over 3' long, about full of old reel
> to reel tapes of music. Many of them are literally fifty years
> old, more or less -- and haven't been played in years, because
> the tape has gotten so loose on the reels that it will jump into
> high speed mode several times when you try.
>
> 		To make one tape playable, you have to run it
> through a tape deck, on lowest speed, two or three times, within
> arm's reach -- so that you can stop and restart it when it
> jumps.
>
> 	Are tapes in such a condition still salvageable?
>
> 	If so, any suggestions?
>
> --
> Beartooth Bookworm, Cantankerous Curmudgeon
> I have never owned a television. Nor wanted to.

John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org
ICBM: 39º 01' 58.4"N 77º 24' 49.6"W Z+84m