[Novalug] slide and negative scanners

Kevin Chin kevinchin5@gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 12:31:32 EST 2009

Yes, I have both flatbed and dedicated film/slide scanners.  I scan for
people as a side biz.  Here's my $0.02. My slide/film scanners are Nikon
Coolscan 5000's.  Hands down the best for scanning slides or negatives.
Yes, they are pricey, but much faster than any flatbed scanner I've used.
BTW, I don't recommend $100 consumer-end flatbeds if you care about speed,
rather I have a pro-sumer flatbed (Canon Canoscan 9950) which is pretty
quick for photos.  The Nikon scanners also have hardware driven ICE
processing (removes dust and scratches) from the images, which saves a step
and time... plus they work great!  That being said, the scan software that
comes with the Nikons is Windows based, and fairly good.  I've not tried it
with Linux.

If I were an individual with lots of slides/negs to scan, I'd be weighing
the cost of time vs the cost/investment. I actually have 2 of these Nikon
scanners and can scan 2 slides simultaneously.  Using this process and a
little focus I can typically scan about 70-80 slides per hour... easily.
With a flatbed, I'd be lucky to get 20 in an hour... and then I'd have to do
more post processing which adds to the time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me off list.
--Kc