[Novalug] March Topic?

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Tue Feb 17 16:13:57 EST 2009

> Gee, if we can put detach into the shell, then the reason for screen
> goes away too. There is always the Virtual Consoles and OpenVT.

GNU Screen has many uses, only one of which is its detach ability.  Splitting windows, cut and paste without a mouse between windows, ability for multiple users to share the same Screen session, multiple instances of Screen with independent windows, etc, etc, etc.

Screen is a valuable tool that I wouldn't want to live without.

> The problem is that Screen steals the ^A key...and that's Too Valuable
> to give up. Yeah, you can change it....

echo "escape ^Xa" >> ~/.screenrc

-A. Dave

This email written from Mutt within Screen