[Novalug] boot embarrassment : clue, please?

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Fri Feb 13 14:13:08 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Peter Larsen wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 12:03 -0600, Beartooth wrote:
>>          I have Knoppix 6.0 and various rescue disks. I tried
>> rescue mode with F10's boot.iso, did chroot /mnt/sysimage, and
>> got into grub.conf; it looks normal to me
>
> You should use the F10 rescue with F10; however, follow that
> idea but do a "grub-install". This will re-copy grub
> executables. The error you're getting is usually due to one of
> the (binary) phases of grub not loading correctly. In most
> cases, it's easily fixed by simply running grub-install.

 	My bad. That's what's running now. "quit" got me out of
the grub prompt, but "grub-install" got me an error message
demanding a device. (I never have been able to make any sense of
the use of 'device' in computerese ...)

--
Beartooth Bookworm, Cantankerous Curmudgeon
I have never owned a television. Nor wanted to.