[Novalug] Ubuntu Dependencies

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 12:17:40 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 12:02 -0500, Michael Hans wrote:
> My apt-* knowledge is failing me at the moment, but I'm looking to
> install the dependencies of a package but not the package itself. I
> could have sworn I did this in the past easily, thoughts?

What kind of dependencies?
For regular dependencies (and recommends and suggests):
apt-cache depends <package>
For build dependencies:
apt-get build-dep <package>
For reverse dependencies (list of what depends on it):
apt-cache rdepends <package>

And then there are other nice things like:
aptitude why <package>
and
aptitude why-not <package>
Which tell you why apt wants to pull in a package (what depends on it
that you're installing?) or get rid of it (what are you installing that
conflicts with it?).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo