[Novalug] Conversation topic: laptops in India for $10

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue Feb 3 14:50:34 EST 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Megan Larko wrote:

ML >Hello List,
ML >
ML >I saw this on the web today about India providing students with laptops for $10.  The devices
ML >include 2Gv RAM, ethernet and supposedly go on-sale in India today.
ML >
ML >Links:
ML >http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/29/india-developing-10-laptop-gartner-says-100-laptop-at-least/

On close inspection the picture displayed image in the link above appears
to be a computer screen composed of cardboard with chicklets set on a
piece of cardboard to make the keyboard.

It is hard for me to estimate the price of manufacture because the source
of chiclets I found sells them by the pound with no information on
chicklets per pound and I lack a suppply here to get a chicklets per pound
number experimenatally.

However at $15 for a 5 lb bag of chicklets:

http://www.candydirect.com/Concord/ConcordProducts/ChicletBytesPolarMint

It would appear that the $10 to $20 estimated cost of this computer to the
end buyer is providing a HUGE profit for the manufacturer.
                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com