[Novalug] Is Cox blocking bittorrent?

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Feb 2 11:50:53 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 11:11 -0500, ethan@757.org wrote:
>  Some of the distro sites have gigabit+ connections at major internet
> peering points. So they have straightforward bandwidth, instead of
> utilizing people all over the place and having to compute MD5 sums or
> whatever checksums BT uses.

I think the number of sites with that kind of bandwidth available can be
counted on one hand. The problem is, that IF your service center has a
high bandwidth available, the number of downloads alone will simply
increase. Torrents fixes that - I've never had faster download rates
than when I do torrent downloads.

Calculating checksums - have you even tried to measure the CPU involved?
In today's world it's negligent - and definitely won't take bandwidth
away.

(btw. you do know that TCP does check-sums too right?)

--
Peter Larsen <plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com>