[Novalug] Novalug Digest, Vol 38, Issue 79

Mike Johnson mikerjohnson@gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:52:46 EST 2009

Kernels primarily I suppose.  You never "upgrade" a kernel.  You always
install the new one in parallel to the kernel(s) already installed.  A
better design decision over other UNIX's in my opinion.  Don't have to drop
to single user mode to upgrade the kernel.

Mike

-----Original Message-----

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:09:25 -0500
From: James Ewing Cottrell 3rd <JECottrell3@Comcast.NET>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] F12 delta rpms
To: waltechmail@yahoo.com
Cc: novalug@calypso.tux.org, Beartooth <beartooth@Beartooth.Info>

Even then, with kernels, and other places where you "know" that this the
first and only install, -U works as well as -i.

So why does -i even exist? Historical?

The only reason I can think of is where you want multiple and
overlapping versions to exist. Perhaps this might be 32 and 64 bit
versions of a library, with the identical man pages or /usr/share files.

In fact, -i might be *required* for delta RPMs. I'm just guessing tho.

JIM