[Novalug] Editors thread was vi help, please

jonwrose@verizon.net jonwrose@verizon.net
Mon Dec 28 22:45:18 EST 2009

I would agree with the exception of learning VI before learning VIM.  VI exists on every UNIX system, vim is not.  In fact, most of the unix systems I've been on, they don't even have emacs installed.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Ewing Cottrell 3rd <JECottrell3@Comcast.NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:04:30
To: Bonnie Dalzell<bdalzell@qis.net>
Cc: <novalug@calypso2.tux.org>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Editors thread was vi help, please

Of course you can do what you want, but it's my considered opinion that
it's only worthwhile learning two editors: vim and emacs.

Everything else is destined to disappoint. Both those editors have been
around for a quarter of a century, and it's unlikely that anything
whipped up as a component of a Desktop Windowing System (gedit, kwrite)
could match it, or would even try.

Better to spend you brain cycles learning the nooks and crannies of vim,
or dive into the deep end and learn emacs.

I have seen countless editors come and go, and I don't want to see any
more. Of course, just when you think the game is over, something new
comes along. Wake me up when it does.

JIM