[Novalug] Computer (server room) inventory

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Mon Dec 28 19:45:01 EST 2009

I need something to keep an inventory of my systems. In the past I've
used a spreadsheet but that seems like a pretty bad use. The problem
with most audit/inventory software is they give me the tech details
like cpu, memory and disk, and running applications but they usually
have no idea its purpose (IIS, sure, but what does that IIS do?) or
where its backed up or what kind of power it takes (dual power, single
power, is it on the UPS?)

So tonight I am going to start a new spreadsheet, at least so I can get
down what kind of details I need to track. I figure once I get done
with a few racks (maybe 10-15 servers) I'll get a solid handle on what
details I need.

Any suggestions?

Nick