[Novalug] Firefox versioning

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Wed Dec 16 17:18:58 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:22:52PM -0500, Richard Ertel wrote:

> i have a need for package management so that my applications are kept
> up-to-date. for example: upgrading to the latest FIREFOX. privilege
> levels are nice, too. these are big reasons why i choose to use
> gnu/linux.

Linux is great in that it appeals to many.  There are bleeding-edge
distros that really will package new software in easily consumable ways,
though it often is a trade-off against stability.  Ubuntu is in
the more conservative camp, at least after a version is declared stable.

You'd correctly mentioned that Ubuntu 9.04 does indeed package Firefox
3.5.  Not sure why it should be made the default if it's already there
and users know how to find it.

> but then again, i've learned in the past that it's a no-win situation
> to argue with Brian J. Smith. so... you're right.

Not fair to single people out.  Maintaining software is a big deal.
Distros are under enormous pressure to have current and stable
packages, and achieving a good mix of the two isn't easy.

-A. Dave