[Novalug] [Off-list] Re: btrfs vs the world ...

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Dec 15 17:41:09 EST 2009

Do Internet searches on myself and XFS from 2001 on-ward. ;)

Also, on NTFS ...

Write access to NTFS is _not_ safe in Windows itself, unless
the Windows system that is writing to it actually created it.
The problem has always been SAM-SID related, not Linux. In
fact the #1 problem with NT 3, 4 and 5 was that it lacked a
read-only mount/map/access option so it could safely read
like Linux.

My largest complaint is that Microsoft has not supported UDF
like Linux.  UDF solves _all_ problems with portable data storage.
Instead, Microsoft has created exFAT because it is _very_unsafe_
to use NTFS for portable data.  Of course it is largely NT 6 only.

--
Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith