[Novalug] UPDATE Re: Problem F11 Dell PC (was boot trick)

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Tue Dec 15 10:11:26 EST 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Beartooth's df output showed > 170MB in his /boot.  My /boot
> has the most recent 3 upgrades, in both regular and PAE
> versions, thus equivalent in size to the last 6 upgrades.  Yet
> my /boot is only 36MB, nearly all of it in /boot, not subdirs
> like /boot/grub.
>
> I must surmise that BT's /boot has a lot of no longer needed
> stuff that has not been cleaned up.  Perhaps as a simple
> temporary fix BT should just trash anthing in /boot not related
> to stuff on his boot menu. I don't know if the resulting 150MB
> of free /boot space rather than the current 25MB would allow an
> upgrade to proceed, but it can't hurt ;)

 	I had, weeks ago, repeatedly; and it didn't.

 	There has been a lot of discussion of this on the Fedora
list, including posts about things to take out of /boot; and I'm
pretty sure I did all they suggested. Every time I did, I got a
smaller shortfall in the amount of space; but it never got down
to zero.

 	Btw, I've been watching that list (on Gmane, not as
email, if that matters) since who goosed the moose, and had not
seen such a problem before; but a lot of people reported it this
time, and iirc, there was an actual report filed to RedHat's
bugzilla. I raised the question here, because I was beginning to
suspect some sort of hardware involvement in my case.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Erstwhile Historian of Tongues
Sclerotic Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Evangelist