[Novalug] UPDATE Re: Problem F11 Dell PC (was boot trick)

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Mon Dec 14 14:18:28 EST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 1:52 PM, Beartooth wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
>
>> I missed the earlier portion of this thread, but I'm wondering
>> why you don't just backup your /home directory to an external
>> hard drive, install Fedora 12 cleanly and restore the backup
>> data?
>
> 	Hmmmm .... Might be the best resolution. I do have an
> external drive here, though I haven't used it much.
>
> 	I've been reluctant, in part because /home seems far too
> big for a DVD, if I understand the following aright :

You may want to copy off everything, anyway.  If you have any configuration stuff in /etc, you'll want to include that in the new system.  Mailspools, databases and some other live data live in /var.  You don't want to lose anything there, either.  If by "external drive" you mean the DVD, no, that won't work.  Not without heroic effort.  Max is talking about a USB hard drive, like one of the 500GB MyBooks.

jf