[Novalug] PS Re: boot trick??

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Dec 13 17:09:43 EST 2009

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Okay, I must be pretty thick here, as I'm not understanding.
>
> It's as simple as typing "df -m" and cutting'n pasting the
> output in e-mail.

[btth@BBB ~]$ df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted
on
/dev/mapper/vg_bbb-lv_root
                         148009     22002    124505  16% /
/dev/sdb1                  194       171        14  93% /boot
tmpfs                      502         1       501   1% /dev/shm
[btth@BBB ~]$

 	Incidentally, why is that better than df -h?

> You might also consider posting the output of "du -msx
> /var/cache" as well.

[root@BBB ~]# du -msx /var/cache
3556	/var/cache
[root@BBB ~]#

> As far as squinting, are you using a small font or something?  Or you have
> a small monitor?  I see 22" LCDs for $100, 24" for $150 these days, regularly.
> But even that aside, a 17" that is full screen with a font at 80x24 is easy for
> me to read.

 	The point was that my CLI-fu is pitiful; I depend heavily
on a GUI. To get the size, I'd've launched baobab, then moused
all over it looking for the things whose size you asked.

 	I'm now on PC #3, the Dell, which seemed earlier today to
think it was supposed to run Fedora 11 1/2.

 	First thing I did was launch gpk-update-viewer -- which
just keeps sitting there, doing nothing visible, just as it did
earlier when it was behind the KVM switch. This time I'll let it
run a really long time -- though the system monitor says it's
sleeping.

 	If it doesn't wake up, I'll cut it off and see whether
yum update does any better.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Erstwhile Historian of Tongues
Sclerotic Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Evangelist