[Novalug] PS Re: boot trick??

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sat Dec 12 16:14:59 EST 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Beartooth wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, John Franklin wrote:
>
>> On Dec 11, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>>> 	Isn't there some way I can simply copy the DVD onto one
>>> of the hard drives, if I get it in the right place, and then boot
>>> from there?
>>

>> Yes, but you'll need to boot a different image from the CDROM
>> first.
>>
>> Go to the http://www.fedora.redhat.com/en/get-fedora-all page
>> and click the "i386 - Install CDs" link or the "x86_64 -
>> Install CDs" link.  Grab the "netinst" ISO.  Should be about
>> 200MB.  Burn and boot that.
>
> 	Burning it now -- maybe done. [....]
>
>> When you get the boot menu, hit the Tab key and add to the boot
>> options line "text askmethod"  During the install, it'll ask
>> you what media to use.

 	Forgot that part. But it found my install DVD instead,
and switched to it, all by itself, saying it was upgrading F11 to
F12. I thought I was home free -- till it "tested the
transaction," and came up short of space, as it has done so often
for so many on the Fedora list.

 	So I got the DVD outta there, and this time hit the tab
key. I wasn't sure whether to leave a space before "text
askmethod", so I tried without.

 	I ended up hunting around a lot for the right place, and
eventually concluded it was insisting I find it a file called
"/install/install.img" and nothing else. /home/btth/Fedora12DVD
did not cut it.

 	I'll try again with the askmethod *after* a space.
Meanwhile, I'm trying (as root) to copy /home/btth/Fedora12DVD to
/install/install.img -- not that I think it'll work, but as long
as I had to boot back to the F11 hard drive anyway, I might as
well try something with it ....

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Erstwhile Historian of Tongues
Sclerotic Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Evangelist